Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Thoughts

ZOMG an update!!! After so long... but I hardly think anyone noticed...

Anyways, just had to put some thoughts on this subject somewhere!!!

This is rather a touchy subject so I'm going to put it after the jump, so if you're interested in helping this cause, by all means read further. But if you have different feelings than I do and do not agree with my beliefs, please DO NOT waste your time and mine.

The subject: Planned Parenthood is in danger of having their funding cut. I firmly believe in supporting Planned Parenthood, so, as I said, if you have different opinions on the subject do not click "read more".


This is a quote directly from their page: The U.S. House of Representatives has just voted to bar Planned Parenthood health centers from all federal funding for birth control, cancer screenings, HIV testing, and other lifesaving care. 


I will absolutely do anything I can to prevent this from happening. I have gone to Planned Parenthood for five years to obtain birth control and for other medical reproductive services and while I could still go to my primary health care provider if I didn't go to Planned Parenthood, such is not the case for many Americans, and besides, Planned Parenthood is confidential and for most cases, free (which is always nice).

The thing that bugs me about people's perception of Planned Parenthood is that its only purpose is to give women abortions. If you read the quote I provided from their webpage, you won't find the word "abortion" on there. And I think that's what most people who oppose Planned Parenthood miss out on. Planned Parenthood does not merely provide a safe and legal means of terminating a pregnancy. Their quote says in plain English "funding for birth control, cancer screenings, HIV testing, and other lifesaving care."

Now thankfully, I have never gone into Planned Parenthood for anything more that a refill on my birth control, an annual pap test, and an occasional STD testing (which I haven't had to do in over a year since I've had the same partner). Planned Parenthood makes it possible for me to avoid the heartbreaking decision of having a baby or not. I'm Pro-Choice, but that doesn't mean I'm not Pro-Life. Nobody WANTS to get an abortion. But if you've done everything in your power to avoid getting pregnant but something goes wrong, well, it's up to the woman to decide what to do next. On the other hand, if you've slept around with the knowledge of what would happen if you don't use protection then you're just an idiot. But Planned Parenthood provides another great service to help those people: EDUCATION! If young adults learn about the consequences, responsibilities and potential dangers of an active sex life without using proper protection, they may be more inclined to reach out to organizations like Planned Parenthood to acquire things like birth control and condoms. In no way do I believe young teens should be having sex, but at least this would help to keep kids from having kids.

The other thing that people forget about Planned Parenthood is that a lot of people use their services for the family they've already started. Many a time have I been in the Planned Parenthood waiting room and there are at least five infants or toddlers with their parents there for a check-up no doubt. Perhaps you already decided to start a family but you don't have health insurance or you don't have enough or whatever the case may be, here is your answer!

Also! Hello?! Cancer screenings?! HIV testing?! I'd say those are pretty important for your overall health, not just your reproductive health. And the fact they are confidential? Awesome.

I guess what I'm trying to say is even if you don't agree with abortion, can you at least agree with the other health services Planned Parenthood provides for many Americans? Because that's what the ban is trying to take away. It's not funding for abortions, it's funding for everything else. The really important stuff, the stuff that could possibly lead to less abortions all together! I firmly believe that if some people would just open their minds a little more and get more information on certain subjects concerning Planned Parenthood and what they're all about, there would be no need for this stupid debate and this ridiculous ban on funding.

So please, if you feel the way I do, even just a tiny bit, go to this website and read the letter and sign the petition. Thanks.


~Pinupcherrymakeup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I read each and every one! I also try to comment on something of yours, so thanks for the love! :)