Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween Makeup Day Two: 10/30/10

Hello once again,

Now it's the grand finale, the real, original makeup/costume look. This was something that again I just threw together, but I had more time to prepare. I mean I threw it together because it just sort of popped into my head. I didn't really have an idea of what I wanted to be for Halloween, but I did know that I just wanted to put on a crapload of makeup and just do something really extreme and something I've never done before, something out of the ordinary. My friend Emma suggested that I should be a bird, like a parrot or something colorful. I thought that was a great idea, so I started looking online at photos of "bird makeup" to get inspired. I saw a few that I liked, mostly involving greens and purples for some reason. Then I saw one of a girl who I supposed was meant to be a phoenix. Her eyes were greenish gold and red and with little hints of black; her false lashes would have been plain if it were not for the wispy red feathers protruding from the ends; her lips were red with bits of gold leaf on them (not to mention the snakebite piercings on her lips, hot!!); it also looked like there was some sort of fishnet detail on some parts of her face; and her entire face was surrounded by red feathers, probably a boa or something. But as soon as I saw this photo, I knew I wanted to be a phoenix and really challenge myself to do something crazy and different. See how I did...









Eyes:
Bare Minerals Prime Time Eyelid Primer
Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara in Black (used to bond false lashes and my lashes together, also used on lower lashes)
Bare Minerals Onyx/MAC Blacktrack Fluidline on very inner and outer corners (read below and find out what this means)
Hot Topic Red blended next to the black and yellow colors (I don't know if there's a specific brand that this is or what it's actually called, I just know I got it at Hot Topic and it's really, really vivid bright red)

Bare Minerals Trophy Wife on very center of lid and blended outward into the red
Bare Minerals High Shine Eyecolor in Glisten on brow bone (later with MAC Tissueweight blended over... read more to see what I mean)
Bare Minerals Big & Bright Eyeliner in Intense Black on waterline with the Hot Topic Red blended on top of that and on lower lashline
MAC false lashes #6
ArtMinds Variegated Flakes (aka Gold Leaf) from Michaels

Face:
Bare Minerals Matte SPF 15 Foundation in Fair
Bare Minerals Mineral Veil 
Bare Minerals Well Rested
Hot Topic Red on cheeks and cheekbones and Bare Minerals Trophy Wife blended on cheekbones later (again, keep reading to find out what that means)
Bare Minerals Big & Bright Eyeliner in Intense Black to line my lips
Bare Minerals 100% Natural Lipcolor in Red Delicious blended over the black on lips
MAC Russian Red dotted just in the middle of lips and blended


So the picture that originally inspired me had some gold leaf in it but I wasn't going to copy her look exactly, but find some other things to make it my own. I actually was planning on covering my eyebrows so I could create flames above my eyes, and in looking up how to do so on YouTube, I found a video that showed how to do a makeup look with gold leaf. To my surprise, the gold leaf looked exactly like flames! So I went out and got some gold leaf and started to play with it. The first six pictures are of when I did a run through of the look, just so I knew how to do it next time and could maybe improve some things. I think the only things I changed when I did the look for Halloween was I added the Trophy Wife to my cheeks and added Tissueweight to the brow bone. I may have also filled in my brows but I can't remember, and of course I added the false lashes. The first time I did it, I used the Eyelid Primer to make the gold leaf stick. You can see that it didn't dry clear, and the first time I think I went a bit overboard and used more chunks rather than pieces. The second time around, I used the Duo glue instead and since that dried clear it looked better plus the gold leaf stayed on better. And that time the gold leaf was a bit more sparse but still had the same impact, plus I incorporated some of the copper looking pieces among the gold to have more of a realistic fire color. When I did the look the first time, I used Onyx for the black color. The second time, I had spent the night at the bf's house and completely forgot to take Onyx with me, so I ended up using the Blacktrack Fluidline instead, and thankfully it gave me the same results. I just used it with a fluffy brush to get it to look smoky. Needless to say, I received a lot of compliments on this look. I had work earlier that day and all my co-workers were really impressed with the job I did. One co-worker, Sharon, said my eyes were like "pure sex" and I consider that a good thing :) and everyone else said they really liked my eyebrows (the gold leaf effect). The bf even said that although he knew the gold leaf was supposed to be the WOW factor, the rest of my makeup on my eyes looked really good on its own. I think my co-worker Kerry said something like "If you have ever wanted to work at MAC you should go up there now and have them take a good look at you so they'll want you working there for sure!" or something to that effect. My costume was a really pretty red cami with ruffles (they almost looked like feathers) that I fully plan on wearing again (and often); a red stretchy mini skirt; red fishnets; red patent heels; and red feather wings. I'm sure I looked more like the devil or a streetwalker or both than a phoenix, but once I told people what I was supposed to be they seemed to understand better. Perhaps with more effort I could have got the "bird" idea across, but what's done is done and I was happy with it. Well, hope everyone had a Happy Halloween!

~Pinupcherrymakeup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I read each and every one! I also try to comment on something of yours, so thanks for the love! :)